Saturday, June 13, 2009

Red and Juicy!

I mentioned I had planted strawberries from seed a couple of weeks ago, well the seedlings have arrived. The seed packet promised 70% germination. Um, I think we are going to have to go for more like 20%, but at least something grew, I was beginning to feel like I was just watering dirt.


I showed Sage the seedlings and she was pretty excited and then Aspen wanted to see them. She clapped her hands together and exclaimed, "Are they going to be RED AND JUICY tomorrow!?!"

Nope, hate to break it to you kiddo but at this rate maybe next year, lol. Especially after I read online that some strawberry plants don't produce berries the first year. Sigh. I guess next year we will buy plants and start larger.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So melanie, I am thinking that looks like a weed. How could you do that to your children, they will be waiting for years for strawberries. I know, pretty pot.

The Ridgeways said...

oh great, now I am tending weeds, lol!

Yup Hannah you guessed it a pretty pot and I thought the kids would love it. So am I too late in the season to go get strawberry plants and try that kind?

Unknown said...

Just take them to Strawberry days, and buy them some. You can still get the plants, but don't count on any berries until next year.