Well mine is still alive thanks to Lore. She babysat while I went out of town for the memorial weekend. Plus I dropped it off a day or two early and picked it up a day or two late, lol, so really she had it for a week. Lucky thing too she taught me how to water it, I never would have given it enough water. I am sure she will be relieved to see that it has survived a week with me in charge. This is my first attempt at gardening and I am enjoying it so far, I even felt daring and bought a strawberry pot and planted strawberry seeds in it. Sage thinks its broken because it has been three days and there is only dirt. I tried explaining the process to her but tv was gracious enough to fast forward the process so she now assumes that plants grow that fast. I guess in 10 days when we hopefully have seedlings it will start to sink in.
So I figure the tomatoes I can figure out when to pick, same with the peppers but when do you know when to "harvest" the lettuce and the onions? Can you believe those little blades of grass are going to be onions?! I am so excited to see them.
I keep having flash backs to the last couple of house plants I had that were capable of surviving me but not my girls. The first was my fig tree, loved that thing, I had it in the living room and it was such a cute tree. I vaguely remember thinking I needed to water it and then I had the emergency c-section and was gone for another 3 weeks with Aspen in the NICU. I didn't even notice it was dead until I went to take pictures of Aspen the first day we brought her home and thought, oops, should have watered the tree! The 2nd one made it through the 4 week drought of Aspen but didn't survive Sage the toddler. It was a rubber plant and Sage watched a show on Noggin' about harvesting. Well she kindly plucked that plant naked and told me she had harvested him. Silly green stick started sprouting so I felt guilty throwing it away. Well it regrew leaves, amazing and was actually looking like it might survive and someday look decent when Sage yet again harvested him. She was so proud of herself. Poor thing couldn't recover again. That is the last growing plant I have been in charge of so now you know why I am nervous with all this new found growing responsibility.
I am hoping it goes well and next year I will expand my efforts, I actually looked at the plant/gardening section at home depot last time I was there I would like to try cantelopes for Brent and yellow squash for me. Maybe more tomatoes, I don't know how many tomatoes you get from a plant so maybe what I have is enough? I also really want an apricot tree but I guess the perks of living on the side of the mountain don't include apricot trees, too cold. So I have been directed to peaches and apples by neighbors. Not sure what to do with all the apples I would get from a tree. But I could make Jams and can the peaches in slices for the girls. So I informed Brent that for mother's day I wanted a fruit tree. He has actually been out in the side yard figuring it all out. I am hoping we have room for two trees and a SMALL garden and a fire pit.
But for now I am happy with my garden on the deck.


No comments:
Post a Comment