Friday, December 4, 2009

New addition

The girls had a hard time when we told them about Gunner. It really rips your heart out to hear your kids sob so hard. Brent promised them a new dog but like typical kids it isn't real until it arrives. I wasn't ready for a new pet and I definately wasn't ready to look into a shih tzu puppy face without sobbing so I told Brent to pick a different kind. He has had Pomeranians before and they are good little dogs with kids and fit the small size needed for where we are renting. We found an amazing deal for a pure bred papered pom and and at 7pm at night we were all in the van and headed out to West Point, which for those of you who are like me and had no clue where that is it was a bit past the Hill Airforce Base.

We let the kids name him, Aspen liked the name Sparky but Sage hated it. Sage liked the name Cinderella's Prince and Aspen hated that. Finally Sage came up with Little Bear which is a show both of them love and Aspen liked the name too. Funny thing is he looks like a little bear so they did a good job naming him. So Little Bear came home with us and I haven't had to hear the girls cry for their dog. They have a new one to love and besides the fact they seem obsessed with telling everyone their dog died and they have a new one they seem to be fairing well. Little Bear seems to know what his job in life is already, when he sees the girls he gets so excited he just wiggles and can't wait to get to them. Brent and I don't get that reaction out of him.

I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for a husband who loves his kids so much that he will throw the budget to the wind and go out in the night and buy them a puppy. I am thankful for a little puppy who cures little girls grief. I am thankful I had a dog named Gunner who loved me best of all and made my days brighter. I don't know when I will be able to go a day without tears but at least I don't have to listen to my girls cry.

And now some pictures of Little Bear the girls new dog:



2 comments:

Jennie said...

He totally looks like a bear! I love the picture of him in the stroller. It reminds me of what we use to do to Puff. I hope he tolerates their loving as well as Puff did with ours.

I still feel for you though. It's hard for so long. Everytime I came home and there was no dog there to greet me I cried. I cried every time Katherine cried for him wanting to know when he was coming back. And I STILL cry when I think about it, or hear about someone else going through something similiar. I even cried at work once with a customer as we talked about her loss. It always amazes me how much a dog can enter your heart and stay there. I love you and hope your pain will ease soon.

Lore said...

Mel, I am bummed that Aspen did not like Sparkey, that was my childhood dogs name, but he did meet a simular fate as Gunner so maybe it is best they stick with little bear, even though I think he looks like a Little Fox.

I am glad the girls are happy. You will be too, in time.