Thursday, April 2, 2009

Gunner Update

Well everyone can quit feeling sad for Gunner. We are keeping him. I tried my best to talk Sage into finding him a new family. She adamantly told me no that he was her friend and her family and he was staying. She then gave me a lecture about how Gunner was a good dog and he loved me and I needed to be nice. It made me laugh. And as I look at that cute miserable face today I have more sympathy for him. He can stay. Yes I am a Sucker for a sad face and for Sage.

So now that I don't think I will cry as I type this I thought I would share my last 48 hours with Gunner. I bathed him, blew him dry, put him on a table and combed out every last super long hair and had him looking like a shih tzu prince. Even gave him two super small ponies so he could see but hopefully so they wouldn't bug him. Sent him out on a potty break and he comes back in looking like something had peed on his nose and beard hair and chest hair. OH the SMELL! Like something had died, like vomit, like nothing you could describe! OH MY GOSH! GAG! GAG! Brent said he had been hit by a skunk. I didn't believe him, I couldn't smell skunk, I could smell retrid putridness of the like that is truly indescribable! I was appalled. While bathing him I seriously though I was going to puke. Sage had to leave the bathroom and usually her favorite thing is to help bath the dog. 5 soaping and rinsings later he looked almost normal still a slight tinge and the smell seemed to be gone. It isn't though if you smell his chest it smell just like skunk, who would have known! Brent was right AGAIN. Seriously that is the worst thing about marrying someone 20 years older than you, you are always saying, "You were right." Which wouldn't be so bad if he didn't always say, "I told you so, why do you never believe me!"

So that alone might make you rethink the dog owning thing right? Well then add the fact that clean puppy then gets diarrhea, don't know if it is because he ate some of the skunk spray or if the kids were kind enough to share some inappropriate food with him but diarrhea isn't pretty when your but is covered with 7 to 8 inch long hair and your tail hairs are even longer than that. EWE So now he is on his 3rd bath for diarrhea. ugh. So now maybe you can see why yesterday I was so very done. Today he seems to be doing better and may not require 8-10 baths in the next 24 hours. That is my hope at least.

3 comments:

Shamelessly said...

OK well glad to hear youre keeping your pup... I just have one suggestion. I know you love the hair, but for your sanity and for his well being have the poor little guy groomed!!

Petsmart can fix him right up, cut his hair shorter, make him easier to groom, clean and no more poop balls, pony problems and trust me, he'll still be adorable.

Do it. You won't regret it. And neither will he!! (besides lots of bathing irritates his skin!)

Jennie said...

Yeah for Sage! I think she might just have a thing to teach you if you listen to her. Who knew kids were so smart! ;0) Love Ya!

The Ridgeways said...

I do have him groomed, often, but I like the long hair (oh and Petsmart is THE WORST groomer) Always go to either a vet recommended groomer or a place that does grooming only.

The hair isn't bad unless the dog has the runs which has only happened twice. The first time Sage fed him a HUGE piece of cake sans the icing which she ate for herself. I have no idea what she treated him too this time.

As for the skunk, even a hairless dog would have had issues with that one. OH MY GOSH.

I realize lots of bathing is irritating but so is skunk spray and poop, lol!