Saturday, July 31, 2010

Good times in a Taurus

Today Brent pulled out the neglected, unlicensed, dirty Taurus.  He filled the tires back up with air and jump started it.  To help spur him into action to get the sucker some new tires and tags so we can drive it I washed it, waxed it, washed the interior and vacuumed it.  It looks awesome.  I had to laugh because as I was vacuuming I found Brent's keys he lost over a year ago.  They had the key to the van on it that had all the buttons to auto lock, etc.  It was over $150 to replace so he has been stuck with a plain jane key.  Which is funny because I had never noticed until his key was gone the only door with an old fashioned lock on the van is the outside drivers door. 

Looking at the clean shiny  Taurus brought back a bunch of memories.  I have to preface my first memory with a few facts.  When I had Sage I was slightly, OK, I was insanely crazy about safety and details.  Before she was born I carefully installed the car seat in such a way any highway patrol officer would have been proud.  A 300lb wrestler couldn't have done a better job, or wiggled her seat, lol.  I set the doors on the car to child safety (yes, those infants so often open their own doors) I had Brent child proofing the house as well.  I had a check list (yup, combined from several I had found on the internet) and that baby was not arriving until the checks were checked!  One of my first outings with Sage on my own turned into a humiliating experience.  I was off to the grocery store and it started to rain.  I carefully but on my baby bjorn holder and then got out of the car and into the back to get the baby.  I still wasn't a pro at the buckles or getting her in just right so to keep us dry I hopped in next to the car seat and closed the door.  I got her carefully into the holder and covered with a blanket and got the diaper bag on my shoulder and was ready to start our outing . . . but the door wouldn't open.  Yup those dang child safety locks.  I was wedged between the car seat and the front seat was back all the way, just having had a c-section jumping over the seat or over the car seat really wasn't an option.  So I sat and tried to get the courage to call Brent and explain my predicament.  Just then a man ran by on his way to his truck.  I started waving like a crazy woman.  He stopped and looked at me like I was crazy, I continued to wave and motion him over pointing to the door.  He came over and gingerly opened it for me.  "Are you ok?"  "Thank you! I forgot about the child safety locks!"  He busted up laughing and told me he was happy to help and ran for his truck.  I flipped the child safety locks to OFF and went shopping.  Ah memories, lol.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh that is the funniest new Mom story ever. I love it.