Sunday, November 8, 2009

How NOT to cook a steak

Brent put his back out this weekend so he is stiff and sore and not moving around much. I figured I could handle dinner no problem and didn't change the menu. My first mistake was not dethawing the steaks I got on sale at smiths for $1.89 a pound but instead trying my hand at the BBQ with the expensive $7.99 a pound rib eye steaks from costco.

After carefully tenderizing , rubbing with olive oil and seasoning the steaks I went out to see if I could even light the thing. Actually got it the first try which made me feel pretty cocky. Waited for the temperature to show 300 on the outside and the slapped those beauties on the grill. Pioneer Woman the expert on all things good and yummy had said a couple of minutes on each side, so I left the grill and went to set the table. I hadn't finished yet when Sage told me the BBQ was on fire. I told her it was just smoking and was fine, and she told me nope it was on fire. Sure enough she was right I went running out to the grill which now read over 700 degree's and threw open the lid and nearly lost my eyelashes! Oh my did we ever have a fire. The woodchips that are supposed to smoke were in full out flames and so was everything else. I grabbed the steaks from the bonfire and yelled for Brent. It took, baking powder and a squirt bottle but the fire was put out with no real damage. Ah but my poor steaks, they were crunchy on one side but fine on the other just no grill marks, lol. Brent was excited because his steak was rare, the first rare steak he has apparently gotten from his grill. I was hugely disappointed as I prefer my steaks even cooked without char. But lessons learned I suppose. I will be turning the grill down and I will never leave a precious rib eye steak unattended again.

No comments: