Saturday, November 7, 2009

Like Mother Like Daughter

Long long ago in a far away mining town lived a young woman who had reached the magical age of fifteen. What is so magical about 15? Why the ability to learn to drive! This particular young woman was me. I have to say it is a blessing that I grew up is such a small town as I don't think I would have survived learning how to drive in the city. I could fill this blog with post after post of driving mishaps but I have one particular incident that I want to share. In a small town running errands with your parents for driving practice usually doesn't entail much more than a couple of blocks, however the only place to get pizza was clear on the other side of town across the large overpass bridge at least a 15 minute drive. I remember my best friend Mara was in the van with my mom and I. I was very nervous about doing everything right. We made it to the local Pizza Hut without incident, however as I went to pull out my over thinking kicked in and I panicked. Which side of the road do I pull out on? I thought back on the way I had come and decided to backtrack, I promptly pulled out into the oncoming traffic. Well if I had lived in a bigger town there would have been oncoming traffic, as it was I was merely driving on the wrong side of the road. I calmly continued on my way sure that I had made the right decision. I noticed Mara and my Mom exchanging glances, "Um, your on the wrong side of the road," my mom calmly corrected me. I was mortified but where I may not be able to figure out the mechanics of driving I was at least quick on my feet, "Oh, sorry. I thought I was in Europe for a second there." We all had a great laugh and we made it home safely without further incidents.

Yesterday, while working with Sage on her home school for the day. I asked her which castle was smaller the one on the right or the left. She said left which was wrong. So I pointed to the left castle and said, "Really? This one is smaller?" She is apparently also quick on her feet, "Oh sorry, I was speaking Spanish there for a minute. I said right." I just had to laugh and once again I am so grateful to have the opportunity to home school this bright and funny little girl. I would miss out on so many wonderful moments if she were attending a traditional school. I have to say though I really am hoping driving comes more naturally for her than it did for me.

No comments: