Monday, November 17, 2008

New Pets!? How Fun!

Our backyard is sunken. In most places it is 4 feet deep and on the level parts it has a small 4ft fence around it. This creates the perfect trap for your random dogs on a trip through the neighborhood. It seems like almost any tiny dog can make it in but rarely can they make it out.

Friday I was downstairs swapping the laundry when I hear blood curdling screams from Sage. I run upstairs thinking something terrible is happening. Nope just a dog in the yard. I told Sage and Aspen to stay in the house and headed down the deck stairs (no shoes on either.) Well of course the kids don't listen cause if mom isn't scared they aren't either and follow me with Gunner. Great now the little speed bullet of a dog is racing around the yard and Gunner is happily chasing him with all his might. Whoa! Suddenly there is a very good sized boxer in the mix and I am worried for my Gunner! He isn't the least bit intimidated stupid dog and just looks at it as another dog to chase.

The boxer jumps out of the backyard onto our upper side yard and whines. My dog and the little terrier are giving it their all to follow and both are just smashing against the wall. Well the distraction allows me to scoop up the cute little terrier, poor thing was covered in burrs. The boxer then runs to the front yard and into 1100N the street/freeway I live on. I go running back up the stairs through the house, down the stairs and out the front door and this time yelled to the kids if they followed me they were going to bed for naps and slammed the door. I sat down on the sidewalk and talked to the boxer and showed her his little terrier friend, soon she was sitting next to me trying to crawl into my lap. She followed me into the house and the kids were in heaven. The boxer was so good with the girls and was such a sweet heart. The little terrier had a tag his name was Gizmo. I brushed all the burrs out of Gizmo and then put Satin's harness and leash onto him so that if he went into bullet mode again I would have a better chance at catching him. The were both total sweethearts. The phone # on Gizmo kept going to a fax machine so I asked Brent to fax them a note saying we had their dogs. Sage insisted on talking to Brent. She told him that we were going to keep them. The big one was hers and the little one was mom's and Gunner was his. He told her no of course but she didn't give up until he told her maybe we should have Gunner go with them.

We got to play with them for a couple of hours and then a couple of boys walked over and picked them up. They were so relieved that we had their pets. I was worried how Sage would react but the dogs were so excited to see the boys. Sage was just fine with it and gave them a hug and kiss goodbye. I have to say it was me that was the saddest to see them go. The terrier was a sweetheart but he was a fully intact male so I knew I couldn't keep him. That is all I need is Gunner and Gizmo having marking contests! But oh my that Boxer melted my heart. I have never had much to do with the breed and I have to say I am impressed. She LOVED attention and was fabulous with the girls and was so soft! If I sat down she was by my side instantly.

Gunner is getting better though, he is spending more and more time out of his crate and I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. He just may someday be house trained and a member of the family. Their was one member of the family that was thrilled to have them gone . . . Merlin. As we came trooping in the house he gave me this look and would meow at me like Hello!? Mom what are you thinking?!

2 comments:

Lore said...

You snd NOAH would have been good friends!

Shamelessly said...

Dog Thief.
First a yorkie... then a boxer... who knows whats next???