Friday, September 17, 2010

School Starts!

School is now in session! We are on our 2nd year of schooling at home through the Alpine school district. They supply the books and supplies, I supply everything else! I really love the K12 curriculum and the ability to add to it as well.  I have to say though it can be overwhelming.  I have to laugh when I hear most mom's talk about school starting with such glee.  Then there is me who feels like one of the kids wishing summer would never end.  But after a month of being back in the routine it isn't so bad.  I have gotten in the groove for having two students this year and have a schedule that is working so far for us.  It is definitely more time consuming than last year but more fun too.  Sage and Aspen are loving reading and finding that they can read things as we are out and about now.  We get to study Egyptian history this year and it is my favorite! The girls favorites are Math and Science.  I started Aspen out with the Kindergarten math but she didn't like it she wanted to do Sage's so they are both doing 1st grade math and love it.  If they had their way our day would be 4 math lessons, 2 science lessons, 3 recesses and 2 lunches.  I can actually bribe my children to finish their not so favorite subjects by letting them do an extra math lesson.  I am constantly amazed at their ability to learn and it is so fun to be the one that sees that excitement and shares it with them.

Here are a bunch of pictures from our first day of school.  The kids were so excited to wear their new "school clothes."  Yes they are all from my favorite store Crazy8's, seriously I could spend thousands in that store!
For those of you that read my blog on a regular basis, remember those crazy leggings she loved.  Well now she has crazy leggings that we both love and actually match something!

This is our school cabinet and I am proud to say that 1 month in and it still looks pretty much the same and has stayed organized.  That is one thing I learned from last year to survive this homeschooling thing I have to be organized and have a plan and stick to it.  Many people ask me why I homeschool and it is a hard question to answer.  For me it is about love.  I love these two little girls so much that I want the best for them.  Right now that is getting an amazing education tailored to them and their abilities all in our home. 

4 comments:

Jennie said...

LOVE Sage in green! I almost freaked out when I saw Aspen with the scissors on her head. I thought she'd cut her hair! You really do amaze me with the homeschooling. I can barely deal with homework.

Laura said...

I love the leggings. I might have to grab a pair myself. So cute. Also, I sometimes think kid's that are homeschooled are really not getting an education. But, I love that you can follow the school district programs and then add to it. Your girls sound like their leaps and bounds beyond most of the kids their age. Great Job!

Tara said...

Love the cabinet! You will have to tell me what your resources are!!

The Ridgeways said...

Tara I got the cabinet at home depot it is one of the pieces out of their garage organization units, lol. The school stuff is mostly from www.k12.com if homeschooling is something you are interested in I would definitely check them out. You may find that like me the school district will pay for the entire curriculum as they don't have room in the schools.